[plug] RE: Linux Ghosting from a small hard drive to a large one?

Paul Dean paul at canningcollege.wa.edu.au
Wed Dec 19 09:43:27 WST 2001

Hya,

At 11:10 AM 18/12/2001 -0800, you wrote:

> > Does anyone out there know how to copy exactly what is on a 6 GB hard disk
> > (running only Linux) to a 20 GB hard disk?   Both of these disks are
> > sitting on the same machine (x86 platform).  I am trying to upgrade the
> > disk and keep the older one off-line for backup purposes.

Ok have you ever used Ghost before?

You can boot from a bootable floppy with a copy of ghost on it(OS doesn't
matter on floppy as ghost reads the partitions), I suggest using the later
version of Ghost as it has better support for Linux files systems.

Steps to take;
1. Boot
2. run ghost from command line.
3. select "local -> disk -> to disk"
4. select your source
5. select you destination (be very careful here if you have more than 2
drives in you machine)
6. GO...st and when finished shutdown pc
7. Remove source drive
8. place newly ghosted drive on primary chain if you haven't already, reset
you bios settings
9. boot from new drive.

hey presto new 20Gb drive is master.

If you get stuck Linux does have other utils that will copy drives.

> > <Please think "Novice" when you reply to this email.  Thanks!>
> >

> > Many thanks to all who read and reply to this.
> >
> > Sia Hashemi

Regards

Paul Dean
IT Support Officer