[plug] RE: Linux Ghosting from a small hard drive to a large one?

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Dec 19 12:51:26 WST 2001

> > Does anyone out there know how to copy exactly what is on a 6 GB hard disk
> > (running only Linux) to a 20 GB hard disk?   Both of these disks are
> > sitting on the same machine (x86 platform).  I am trying to upgrade the
> > disk and keep the older one off-line for backup purposes.
I have performed a couple of major disk upgrades by one very simple
technique.

boot with init=/bin/bash at the LILO prompt or use a rescue disk. MAKE
SURE ALL PARTITIONS ARE READ ONLY.

dd if=/dev/<olddrive> of=/dev/<newdrive>

mount root of newdrive, alter /etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf appropriately.
run lilo:
	cd /tmp/newroot
	sbin/lilo -r /tmp/newroot -C etc/lilo.conf

However this is probably not for you unless you're pretty familiar with
the way linux boots and happy manually remounting partitions, booting
with root on harddisk off a kernel on a floppy, etc.

Quick, easy, and painless way to upgrade though. As my /home is _always_
the last partition on the disk, I just fdisk and extend /home's
partition, then resize the resiserfs filesystem on it, and I'm done.

--
Craig Ringer
IT Manager