[plug] isp

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Wed Dec 19 22:00:20 WST 2001

When I talked to them a couple of months back they told me that they charge
for everything which you receive. They told me that transmits are free

3GB a month is starting to get a bit more reasonable though.  500MB a month
is a joke.  At least you can download a set of CD images if you start at the
end of one month and finish at the start of the next.

I really hate it how ISPs charge you outrageous amounts for things that don't
cost them a cent like:

1. Mailboxes.
2. Domain hosting (when you have already registered your domain and want
www.mydomain.com instead of members.iinet.net.au/~mydomain)
3. Stuff you download from their local servers.
4. A static IP address (over a dynamic one)

They are basically charging you for these things because they've got the
power to deny you these things. I understand that WAIX traffic is yet another
thing that they don't pay for but users do.

Anthony