[plug] isp

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Wed Dec 19 22:27:01 WST 2001

On Wednesday 19 December 2001 22:11, skribe wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:00, Anthony Jones wrote:
> > 3GB a month is starting to get a bit more reasonable though.  500MB a
> > month is a joke.
>
> Their adsl express, corporate and commerce packages still charge over 500mb
> tho.  That's one reason why I haven't upgraded to adsl.  That and the $1300
> for the adsl router I'll apparently need to keep multiple ips.

That's true - they know that business customers need ADSL more so they don't
need to make it as enticing to get them signed up. I would say that there are
enough of us holding out for a decent ADSL offer that the first ISP to
actually provide a decent package will probably do quite well.

The current offer from iinet is at least an improvement on the traffic limit.
Not enough for me to rush out and get ADSL yet. The problem for me is that
(a) you get a dynamic IP address and (b) you have to sign up for 12 months.
The problem with signing up for 12 months is that once you've signed up
they've got no reason to give you a good quality service at a competitive
rate.

Tell me - why do you want multiple IP addresses - aren't you just being
greedy? All you really need is one good one that stays put.

Anthony