[plug] isp

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 19 23:31:58 WST 2001

Has anyone heard more about the move by Cisco to stop leasing routers
(like series 800)? RequestDSL is hammering this as a sales technique, and
it's beginning to annoy me. Especially as they're aiming for the
commercial and ISDN markets... Supposed deadline is December 21st (last
business day for Ci$co as I heard)

The understanding I have, is that the router / DSL modem is the margin,
while nada is made on the actual traffic. It also explains why nobody will
sign me up with my Alcatel Speedtouch Home Ethernet... "Sorry, we won't
make money out of you"....

Which kinda brings up the question - why is *anybody* selling ADSL modems
in Australia, to people other than ISPs and Telcos? And does anyone know
of an ISP willing to *not* force me to buy their overpriced embedded *nix
box(or worse embedded WinAPI), over my Linux gateway?

Anybody? Anybody? Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?

As to the original complaints about extra charges, there are only so many
internet routable IPs so it's kinda simple to see the demand Vs supply
equation that means charges for fixed IPs will be around even past the
introduction of IPv6.

And you should see how much disk space those free emailboxes can *really*
chew up... Think 2Mb transferred each day for every mailbox ( and to
account for those who live on mailing lists :P ). Now times that by 3 for
every actual ISP account + two free mailboxes. Now take multiply that for
each ISP account (iiNet has 40,000 last time I saw)

40,000 Users * 3 Mailboxes * 2MB = around 234 GB transferred, backed up,
looked after, shunted around, and paid for by the ISP. They have to pass
that to somebody....

Regards,

Craig Foster

Actually this e-mail should almost double that traffic figure :)

<snip>