[plug] isp

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Dec 20 11:04:28 WST 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Wayne Vovil wrote:

> Hi
>
> I hope this is not too much off topic; but I am looking for a replacement for my present isp (Telstra Bigpuddle).
>
> I run Linux; but my family are the dark side of the force and use Windoze.
>
> So I need to have multiple email addresses - they get their email on Outlook and I get mine (currently using a web mail client). I don't want their mail on my machine, nor mine on outlook.
>
> I would like a large download limit if not unlimited (sometimes I download 300mb+ and at others 0, it fluctuates).
>
> I also have a full domain to host and would like to have everything provided by one isp if possible.
>
> I also would like it if they provided ZOPE / PHP / MySQL or Postgress / python support in their web hosting.
>
> Oh and a free Million dollars as well (lol)....
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards
>
> Wayne

I'm not sure, but I believe that WASP (http://www.wasp.net.au) provides
most, if not all of that. If you contact them, they can elaborate on their
services (also, you can get more information by visiting their website).

In terms of the different email addresses, since you run Linux, you could
do what we do; you use email aliasing on your domain name, and use a mail
server to download the email messages from your ISP account, and to
distribute the messages to mailboxes for each client email address. The
different email client applications and operating systems are irrelevant -
here, different operating systems are used (and, PINE runs on each of the
different operating systems :) ), and, different email applications have
been used by different clients on the LAN.

I found WASP to be the cheapest to set up domain name hosting, where we
already had the domain name registered (and, it is always cheaper to
register the domain name personally, rather than to get an ISP to do it,
and, I am aware of one company who had paid a large ISP in Perth to
register a number of domain names for them, then, when they switched
ISP's, found that the ISP had taken the money and not registered the
domain names...).

Oh, and, yes, I recommend WASP.

And, apart from your later mesage, I found no reference to ADSL in the
original message above. However, from what I understand, ADSL in Perth is
as good as using tin cans connected by string, and, about as reliable for
data transmission, and, costs more than a proper Internet access
account. (Out with the asbestos suit :) )

--
Bret Busby