[plug] MySource CMS

Grant Malcolm gmalcolm at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 20 18:03:37 WST 2001

Casting about to see whether any pluggers have experience with MySource
content management system:

http://mysource.squiz.net/

Or with MySQL in high-demand environments.

MySource is an open source (dunno if their licence qualifies for capitals)
CMS being developed in the eastern states by squiz.net It requires Apache,
PHP and MySQL.

I've spent the last few months using MySource to facilitate rapid web
content creation by a sizable team of the less technically inclined. To
date the product has performed admirably. In fact, more than
admirably. It's an astonishingly good product that is likely to prove a
real boon to organisations looking for a pretty comprehensive page-based
CMS with some decent work flow tools.

Now we're looking seriously at the prospect of extending the use of
MySource, making it available for hundreds of users creating and
maintaining thousands of pages.

My relatively uninformed guess is that MySQL is likely to prove the
weakest link as we go to a larger and more mission critical
operation. What if there's a failure mid-transaction? How does MySQL
manage corrupted tables?

Some degree of database abstraction - or at least support for PostgreSQL -
appears on squiz.net's wishlist. But i guess i'm really looking for an
indication of how reliability, availability etc will stack up with
MySource as it is now - using MySQL.

Ideas? References?

The CIO has already been on the horn to Gartner.

:-)

I need to know if there's anything that might set his (and my) mind at
ease.

Cheers
Grant