[plug] OS chimera

Richard Hardy rhardy at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 20 21:20:47 WST 2001

Greetings fellow tragics,
	Recently,after some advice from fellow pluggers, and growing tired of the
RH 7.1 version from APC magazine, which stopped doing its promised thing, I
bought a book called Red Hat Linux 7 Unleashed.I loaded the RH7.1 version
which came with the book. It worked fine and I then downloaded Staroffice
from a disk on one of those PC World minibooks. So far so good.

For about a week or so, this worked fine for e-mail and net, using the
netscape provided. Mild feelings of competence prevailed.

Horror! Tragedy! Today I switch on the machine and get:

Checking root file system
/ contains a file system with errors, check forced
/:
Inode 227841 has image flag set.
/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
*** An error occured during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell;the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance or type
Control-D for normal startup.

So and thus,as I revert to my windowns setup, and as a recent convert and
believer in the Clinton  approach to this sort of situation, I now ask: Wot
the F...?

Cheers dears