[plug] Debian support for newest CD Writers

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Sat Dec 29 00:43:29 WST 2001

On Friday 28 December 2001 18:12, Harry McNally wrote:
> Folks
>
> I'm looking at CD Writers at http://www.austin.net.au and reviews in
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/01q4/011213/index.html and Linux
> compatibility at http://wt.xpilot.org/cgi-bin/winni/lsc.pl
>
> Austin have Sony (model 24x10x40 Power Burn OEM but likely a CRX175E81X
> which Tom's points out doesn't support overburn). Similarly priced is the
> Ricoh 7200A. There are others but none are on Winifred's compatibility
> list.
>
> Has anyone bought a recent CD Writer and set it up under Debian Woody ?
>
> Am I right in thinking the emulated SCSI commands haven't changed and it
> should kick into life anyway ?
>
> Any other monumentous (cavernous ?) pitfalls with these gadgets ?
>
> The most recent PLUG chat was about Chris Andre's Sony CDU928E which is on
> the compatible list.
>
> Please RTFM! me if there's more after
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/cdr.html and the links to
> Winifred's most recent lists (dated 2000) ?

I got a ricoh 7200A a couple of weeks ago. They are great and work fine under
linux. Justlink seems to work without any software support (or it is
transparent to the user), and I can write at any speed I want (up to 20x max
that the burner supports). Just use IDE-SCSI emulation like old drives and it
is fine.

The only downfalls are:

1) The drive gets awfully confused if you cancel a cd burn using control-C,
requiring a reboot.
2) You need to eject the disk after a simulated write to make the drive work
correctly.

There is a more detailed review of the Ricoh on www.cdrinfo.com

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au