NFS failure (was Re: [plug] SIGHUP woody nfs)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Dec 29 18:13:04 WST 2001

Hmmm

My attempt to do the base install of potato from an NFS mounted 2.2r4 CDROM
on a woody box has me stumped (ho ho).

The data transfer started and after a few minutes of HD twittering as
things installed I got logs (oh no) on the server:

syslog:Dec 29 17:17:05 localhost kernel: fh_verify: /// permission failure,
acc=4a, error=30
syslog:Dec 29 17:17:05 localhost kernel: fh_verify: /// permission failure,
acc=, error=30
syslog:Dec 29 17:17:05 localhost kernel: fh_verify: /// permission failure,
acc=, error=30

and the potato box being installed gave up. I tried a few times ..
consistent failure.

Having studied man exports I responded by setting options in the servers
/etc/exports that would hopefully be as relaxed as possible about requests:
# less /etc/exports
/cdrom 192.168.1.0/24(ro,no_auth_nlm,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

After reload of nfs_kernel_server (thanks Matt) I still got the same three
fh_verify errors.

Has anyone any ideas ?

Unperturbed (small lie), I apt-get installed nfs-user-server a user space
nfs that uninstalled nfs-kernel-server and started the user server.

Now an nfs mount attempt at the potato box being installed gives:
reason given by server: Permission denied.

man rpc.nfsd suggests the default exports file is still /etc/exports and
that hasn't changed.

Has anyone else used nfs-user-server on woody ?

Time for a coffee and a rethink. If a guru out there could explain the
verbose switches for nfs-kernel-server, I could tweak
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server so the server tells more about the problem.
Could be I've got a bug to report :)

cu
Harry