[plug] Sending a VI session to the background

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Dec 30 18:45:04 WST 2001

On Sunday 30 December 2001 13:27, Paul Dean wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Michael Hunt wrote:
> > While I was making changes to a text file I believe I have inadvertently
> > sent the edited file to a background process and now I cant edit the file
> > as it say it is read only. Does anyone know how I can get beck to my
> > original VI session ???

> You can reopen the file with Vi and it will ask you what you want to do,
> it will either kill the process or pick it up.

Or type:

    fg

For reference, ^Z suspended vi. At that point, bg will resume it in
background (not very useful with vi) and fg will resume it in foreground.
jobs lists the suspended or backgrounded jobs (so you can type, for example,
fg 1 to bring a specific suspended job (#1) to the foreground).

One day, when you're bored, type ``help'' at the BASH prompt (command line).
(-: then afterwards spend a day reading ``man bash'' :-).

Cheers; Leon