[plug] Sending a VI session to the background

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Sun Dec 30 20:41:59 WST 2001

> > You can reopen the file with Vi and it will ask you what you want to do,
> > it will either kill the process or pick it up.
>
> Or type:
>
>     fg
>
> For reference, ^Z suspended vi. At that point, bg will resume it in
> background (not very useful with vi) and fg will resume it in foreground.
> jobs lists the suspended or backgrounded jobs (so you can type,
> for example,
> fg 1 to bring a specific suspended job (#1) to the foreground).
>
> One day, when you're bored, type ``help'' at the BASH prompt
> (command line).
> (-: then afterwards spend a day reading ``man bash'' :-).
>
> Cheers; Leon

I have actually been bored enough to read the bash man pages and the bash
shell scripting HOW TO. (Well the last one was a bit of a work requirement).
At first I thought I had done some weird vi command (not hard, the command
set is probably bigger than vi !!!). It wasn't until I did some debugging (I
had a thought for more than 30 secs) that I realised what I had done. The
being in vi at the time kinda threw me at first.

Like I said I save files using ZZ (shift zz) all the time and this is the
first time that I have ever done that typo !!!!

Michael Hunt

So Leon do you feel like donning a penguin suit ????