[plug] Dillo - lightweight GTK-based web browser, worth a look

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Sun Dec 30 19:31:37 WST 2001

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 12:53:51PM +0800, Christian wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 02:15:54AM +0800, Peter Wright wrote:
> > When I first ran it (ie. about an hour ago) my reaction (and I have
> > read in the mailing list archives that at least one other person had a
> > similar reaction :) was to blink then think "what? it's loaded
> > already???"
>
> Bah, who needs it?  We've got Mozilla...

I'm _hoping_ that was sarcasm. :):)

My primary graphical browser is actually Galeon, which I think is bloody
fantastic feature-wise, and much much more usable than mozilla (which feels
sluggish even on my dual Celeron 500 / 512M RAM box). I also use Opera6
(TP1) for Linux occasionally, which is also very quick, very nice, and has
the funky mouse gestures feature. The main reason I prefer Galeon to Opera6
is just that Galeon renders pages a little bit more nicely (as to whether
that's worth the noticeable speed/memory difference is of course debateable :).

I do use Opera for connecting to the pathetic loser Commonwealth Bank web
banking system, which does javascript checks for browsers and some other
really weird (probably non-standard) Javascript stuff that simply didn't
work in Galeon or Mozilla when I last tested it. Opera6, when pretending to
be IE5/Windows, handles it okay though.

Harry (and others interested) - Opera6 is a great and very featureful
browser even for low-end machines, Windows or Linux. I strongly recommend
it - I've even considered actually paying for it a couple of times :).

Dillo is extraordinarily fast and light but doesn't look remotely as good as
Galeon/Mozilla/Opera and is not very HTML standards compliant (eg. I don't
think it handles frames yet). Hopefully the development team will be
putting cookies support into the main tree very soon[0] - that's about the
only major missing feature from my perspective.

Pete.

[0] ..there's apparently two or three different patches available to put
cookies support into Dillo, but for various reasons these haven't been
integrated into the main dev tree yet.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Although it is still a truism in industry that "no one was ever fired for
buying IBM," Bill O'Neil, the chief technology officer at Drexel Burnham
		-- The Wall Street Journal, December 6, 1989