[plug] Dillo - lightweight GTK-based web browser, worth a look

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Sun Dec 30 19:45:54 WST 2001

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 05:45:27AM +0000, Harry McNally wrote:
[ snip ]
> The Computer Angels machines that we prepare (http://www.ca.asn.au) have
> mostly 16MB RAM and Nick B and others argue that Mozilla and derivatives
> really need 32MB. So Dillo is a possible alternative.

Opera (or _perhaps_ Konqueror, if you can install enough of KDE on these
systems to use Konqueror) may be more useful in this case - unfortunately
Dillo has a lot of limitations. It's very cool and amazingly zippy, but I
probably wouldn't recommend it for regular browsing. Most obviously, it's
missing support for frames, cookies, and Javascript. Hopefully at least the
cookies issue will be addressed very soon, not sure about the others.

> On this and also Daniel's thread, any suggestions for light applications
> (word processing, spreadsheet, browser (optionally with mail), graphical
> mail clients, and games) would be most welcome.
>
> If you've used lightweight apps that work well, please let me know.

Well, Sir Harry - you may be very interested in an article on Slashdot on
Just This Topic(tm)  ;-) - entitled "A Newbie's Guide To A Low-Fat Linux
Desktop":

I found out about Dillo (among other things) in the comments for this
article.

> All the best
> Harry

Pete.