[plug] blowing away WindowsME

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Mon Dec 31 09:09:44 WST 2001

And if you want to save the MBR before blowing it away (with the option of
restoring it again) try this little Linux boot disk, designed to do just that:

http://plug.linux.org.au/~steve/mbr.html

BTW blowing away an MBR, Windows or otherwise is easy. Boot from a Linux boot
disk - any will do eg. the one mentioned above, Toms Root Boot etc. At the
prompt type:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

This writes zero's over the first 512 bytes (the MBR) of the first hard disk
on IDE channel 1 ie. hda

Incidently, when I'm replacing any OS with another on any HDD, I do this as a
matter of course after saving the original MBR first. It's not so important
with Win9x, but I've found it necessary for WinME/NT/2k/XP. I also usually
switch the BIOS boot virus checker off first. YMMV

Regards,
Steve