[plug] Making a CD image

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Dec 31 13:28:46 WST 2001

> Does anyone know how to make an image of a CD containing both audio
> tracks and an ISO9660 filesystem?  CDRDAO won't copy it (gets all these
> weird SCSI errors) and dd won't read it from either CD drive.
Hmm... I've seen this on software CDs whose makers have decided that YOU
MAY NOT duplicate them and run off the duplicate keeping the original as
master "just in case". This is the only thing I like about MS - they
don't do this. Yes, we all know what "backup" is used as a euphamism for
- but dammit some of us actually need to make BACKUPS!!! *ARRGGHH*

Calms down.

OK, one solution - depending on what the actual cause is - to invalid
CDs, whether by damage or design (Ok, damage - brain or physical) is to
use cdparanoia to grab audio tracks to wav, mount the iso9660 image and
just copy off the files, then remaster the contents of the directory
to a new iso9660 image and write to a new CD.

Usually these symptoms are because of disk damage very early in the
unused parts of the iso9660 headers, or so I've gathered.

So what _are_ you trying to copy? It can - sadly - make a big
difference.

--
Craig Ringer
IT Manager, POST Newspapers