[plug] OT: Celeron vs Athlon

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Fri Feb 2 09:42:27 WST 2001

You probably came in at the tail end Leon. I originally asked the Celeron vs
Duron question because there was the choice of spending $200 to put a 700
MHz Celeron on an existing motherboard, or sell the existing BX m/board with
400 MHz CPU, and buy a 700 MHz Duron and m/board for $375 or thereabouts.

I agree completely with your statements, although the Duron compares well
with the P-IIIs from a technical/performance point of view if you ask me.

My friend, and ultimately myself opted for the second route, and now you
can't remove the smiles from our dials... As I mentioned elsewhere, apart
from a rather excellent CPU speed up, the gains from going AGP 2x to 4x,
UDMA 33 to 66 and Ram speed 66 - 133 MHz, by simply changing the motherboard
was a rather cheap and tasty bonus.

Thanks as always for your wise comments.

Dennis.

Leon wrote:

"Duron is market-comparable with Celeron, Athlon with P-III or P-IV.
If the MoBos cost about the same for either Celeron or Duron, I'd go for the
Duron becuase it's faster and AMD is nominally the underdog. If I was
interested in overclocking, I'd go for the Duron because it stretches better
than the Celerons.
If the choice was Athlon or Duron, I'd get the Duron and put the savings
into more RAM, which would make a much bigger difference to everyday life
than an extra 10% clock speed."