[plug] umount /cdrom

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 2 09:26:54 WST 2001

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> List,
>
> I currently have a CD-ROM in my machine's drive which refuses to unmount
> or eject, claiming it's busy. lsof returns nothing, and `fuser -vn file
> /cdrom` returns:
>                      USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /cdrom/              root     kernel mount  /cdrom
>
> There is _NO_ other program using it, not even an idle shell sitting in
> it. I really could just reboot, but that'd be a pain. Any ideas would be
> welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hi;

It is my guess that you have mount the cdrom on another machine using nfs.
There is a bug in nfsd that gives the causes the symptoms you describe. The
fix is to umount the cdrom on the macjine upon whic it is mounted via nfs,
stop "nfs" (nfs stop) on the machine with the cdrom, umount the cdrom on that
machine and start nfs again. This bug seemed to exist on all RH6.*
distributions.

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw          | http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~pfb