[plug] Debian install apt HELP!

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 2 21:58:32 WST 2001

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 09:33:59PM +0800, Adam Davin wrote:
> I've just started a debian install using HTTP for getting files,
> unfortunately, whilst waiting for my other linux box to connect the
> download timed out and gave me a login with about 40mb still to download /
> install.

Modems suck. <sigh>
(though I wouldn't mind one of the Netcomm i-Shares...
http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=124&tid=1
)

> Q: where does apt live (have tried locate, ls | grep but to no avail as yet
> )

APT is the whole Advanced Package Tool system - what you probably want
is apt-get. (BTW - another useful tool is apt-cache)

On the bright side - it sounds to me like you have your base system up
and running happily. If you can connect to your network and download
packages, congratulations, you're basically there and can install
whatever takes your fancy, at your own pace.

You probably want "apt-get install man-db manpages mc", for example. ::-)

> Q2: where does apt keep its log of the install process and does it contain
> a record of those files that weren't downloaded / installed

Downloaded files are saved in /var/cache/apt/archives, and can be
cleaned out ("apt-get autoclean") at will. dselect will let you make big
lists of selections and install them all in one go, and browse what's
available, but I usually ignore it in favour of ;
  apt-get install package
  apt-cache search pack
  apt-cache show package

> Debian mentioned something about using install to finish off at a later
> date have tried install and doesn't give much info... I seem to be missing
[...]

"install" is probably not what you want, it's a standard tool for
putting files into place one by one after compiling them - nothing to
do with packaged software.

Good luck,
Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal