[plug] redhat 7.0 and windows me dual boot

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Mon Feb 5 08:18:11 WST 2001

Evan wrote:

"i used to have redhat 7.0 and windows 98 second edition dual booting fine
and dandy....then windows 98 screwed up (yeah yeah i hear ya) and so i
decided might as well take a look what windows me is like. so i installed
that and, needless to say, it wiped the master boot record (mbr) so LILO
wasn't there no more.
any idea why this happens?? has it got something to do with windows not
running on top of dos anymore???"
I've had Windows ME and Mandrake 7.2 running together using LILO for a
couple of weeks now. I'm giving Windows ME the flick because it has
introduced more problems on my system than it eliminated from Windows 98 and
98SE, and its tendency to crash, or not shut down properly makes 98 look
like Linux. On an additional note, it also benchmarks slower framerates in
my favourite games, but that's only a minor issue. ;-) (Why? All that stupid
system monitoring and restore logging robs CPU/harddisk bandwidth, plus it
has a much bigger RAM foot print for minimal usefulness. My system? Duron,
256 MB RAM, Geforce2MX. Nuff said.)

So to answer your question, it ain't ME that's messing up here. Also, don't
be conned about Win ME not using DOS any more. Deep down, Win ME is
identical to Win 98, and in fact, by tweaking the registry, you can get the
command line start up option back if you really need it. All they've done is
switch it off to get people used to the idea, and speed up boot times for
those who don't need any DOS level drivers running, which is most of us. You
can do the same thing in Win 98 to speed up its boot time too if you wish. I
don't have the Web references on hand to link here, but if you are
interested, check some of the general Windows info and tweaking sites.

I'm guessing that your install screwed up somewhere...

Dennis.