[plug] Halflife Counterstrike under Wine

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Feb 7 09:24:47 WST 2001

Russell Keith-Magee wrote:

> However, I took my box along to a LAN party on the weekend, and could
> not, for the life of me, get HL to contact a server running on a Windows
> box. Similarly, if I started a game server on my box (Wine emulation,
> not the linux native server), nobody on a windows box could contact it.
> I was the only Linux guy at the party, and had to duck to dodge the
> rotten fruit...
>
> The network itself was working fine; I could ping any of the other
> players from a linux terminal.

Thanks to your inspirational post, I now have Half-Life working under WINE,
totally Windoze free using OpenGL. ^_^
I haven't tested it thorougly though (ie; no network tests), and there's a
sound-lag issue I'm hoping to resolve...

Anyway, on your networking problem, I'm wondering, would Half-Life Multiplayer
be IPX-based? Remember, it IS based on the old Quake engine, initially, so I
wouldn't put it past it. It'd explain why your TCP/IP networking worked, yet
the actual game networking doesn't. Just a wild theory... ^_^

Does Online Multiplayer work? (That uses TCP/IP.)

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :