[plug] Halflife Counterstrike under Wine

Russell Keith-Magee keithmag at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Feb 7 11:39:56 WST 2001

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> >
> > However, I took my box along to a LAN party on the weekend, and could
> > not, for the life of me, get HL to contact a server running on a Windows
> > box. Similarly, if I started a game server on my box (Wine emulation,
> > not the linux native server), nobody on a windows box could contact it.
> > I was the only Linux guy at the party, and had to duck to dodge the
> > rotten fruit...
> >
> > The network itself was working fine; I could ping any of the other
> > players from a linux terminal.
>
> Thanks to your inspirational post, I now have Half-Life working under WINE,
> totally Windoze free using OpenGL. ^_^
> I haven't tested it thorougly though (ie; no network tests), and there's a
> sound-lag issue I'm hoping to resolve...

I have a similar problem. I improved the situation slightly by `renice
-10'ing wine, but there was still a slight lag...

> Anyway, on your networking problem, I'm wondering, would Half-Life Multiplayer
> be IPX-based? Remember, it IS based on the old Quake engine, initially, so I
> wouldn't put it past it. It'd explain why your TCP/IP networking worked, yet
> the actual game networking doesn't. Just a wild theory... ^_^

I have a sneaking suspicion it may be a DirectPlay problem. Wine hasn't
got a working implementation of DirectPlay yet, as is evidenced by the
fact that you can't play a network game of Starcraft over wine.

> Does Online Multiplayer work? (That uses TCP/IP.)

Haven't tried.

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
PhD Research Student
School of Computing, Curtin University of Technology
email: keithmag at cs.curtin.edu.au OR russ.magee at computer.org
WWW:   http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~keithmag
Ph: +61 8 9266 2129    FAX +61 8 9266 2819