[plug] Remote backup of SMB mounted NTFS drive

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Wed Feb 7 13:53:42 WST 2001

Pluggers,

After a *very* near disaster with our M$ Exchange server yesterday I
have had to change backup strategies for this "flagship" product. I
would like to mount the NTFS drive via SMB and backup on our nightly run
via linux box. I have a nifty util that does an online copy of the
database to a spare drive, I have the smb connect mounted on my linux
box, but I don't appear to get tar working.

A net search indicates plenty of remote tar to unix boxen but not in
this config. Closest I have found is BRU but the features I want are
only available in the commercial version. I am checking freshmeat now
for others.

Any observations on what I should be looking for from pluggers?

Thanks

-----
Mike Earnshaw      | Tech support is a fine art      | e-mail in header
 Computer Systems  | which once mastered, virtually  | Tel : +61 8 9256
0023
  Support          | ensures loss of sanity.         | Fax : +61 8 9256
1199
-----
   ,-._|\    Union Switch & signal
  /      \   24 Bannick Court
  *_.--._/   Canning Vale, WA 6155, Western Australia