[plug] bouncing junk with fetchmail, sendmail.

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Feb 7 17:15:51 WST 2001

Hi,
  I'm using fetchmail->sendmail->procmail for incoming mail on a dialup
system.
 The .procmailrc sorts mailing lists, as well as separating most spam.
  But I'd like to automatically send bounce messages for some of the
"junk" mail. 'fetchmail' can generate these.
  Is there any way to add a rule to  .procmailrc, so it rejects a message?
ie so sendmail passes an error code back to fetchmail.
  (I know procmail could 'accept' the junk, and send its own bounce
message via a new instance of sendmail, as in PROCMAILEX(5) )

   Another option is to use the spam-filtering in sendmail. I tried adding
a domain to /etc/mail/access, with ERROR 550.
  But that also stopped the outging 'bounce message' :(
Adding a local mailbox name (to be blocked) didnt work at all - I guess
because I'm using sendmail in MDA mode and its ignoring the TO: address.
  Looks like there is a lot to learn here!  It'd be nice if I could do
this in procmail instead.

  Suggestions please? What are the correct tools here?

The config info at sendmail.org is rather minimal.

Actually, I cant even remember why fetchmail bothers to use sendmail at
all, rather than calling procmail directly. I guess ESR had a good reason.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--