[plug] bouncing junk with fetchmail, sendmail.

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Wed Feb 7 20:35:38 WST 2001

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:15:51PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> Actually, I cant even remember why fetchmail bothers to use sendmail at
> all, rather than calling procmail directly. I guess ESR had a good reason.

It's so the mail delivery looks exactly like mail received directly by the
box, and so that fetchmail doesn't have to worry about things like file
locking, mailbox formats, .forward files etc.  It does one thing (fetches
mail) and does it very, very well.  If you're on a debian box, this is all
in /usr/share/doc/fetchmail/design-notes.html.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
College football is a game which would be much more interesting if the faculty
played instead of the students, and even more interesting if the trustees
played.  There would be a great increase in broken arms, legs, and necks,
and simultaneously an appreciable diminution in the loss to humanity.
		-- H. L. Mencken