[PLUG] Bash & Path

Adam Davin blade_badger at bigfoot.com
Thu Feb 8 12:35:24 WST 2001

G'day Ppl,

I recently installed debian potato onto a machine and had to add a path
statement to the bash shell.

On my redhat system the path statement goes into the .bashrc file in my
home directory, however when I tried this in the debian system the shell
didn't append to the path statement.
I also found the .bash_profile and when the path statement was entered into
this it worked.

Q: what is the difference between these two files (if any) in use.

I noticed that the .bashrc file had a note that it's not used for shell
logins where as the profile had the opposite statement, ie it is for
shells.

Not really urgent as it's working now, but just wondering if someone could
shed some light on the purpose of the two files

Cheers

Adam Davin