[PLUG] Bash & Path

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Feb 8 22:22:45 WST 2001

> On my redhat system the path statement goes into the .bashrc file in my
> home directory, however when I tried this in the debian system the shell
> didn't append to the path statement.
> I also found the .bash_profile and when the path statement was entered into
> this it worked.
>
> Q: what is the difference between these two files (if any) in use.

`man bash` is a (good?) description, under INVOCATION of how .bashrc
.bash_profile etc all tie together

AFAIK, under Red Hat the default skeleton .bash_profile calls .bashrc if
it exists, so that it will be used for both login and non-login shells.
Debian doesn't do this by default, although you can add it to /etc/skel if
you wish (seems to be just commented out on my potato).

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham