[plug] zsh vs bash

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Feb 9 11:24:57 WST 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> `man bash` is a (good?) description, under INVOCATION of how .bashrc
> .bash_profile etc all tie together

Oops - sorry for the redundant reply a moment ago. i should wait for
all the mail to download.

  The behaviour does seem odd (though clear in the manual).
Why wouldnt a login shell want to read all the .bashrc by default?

  In fact, why use bash at all, apart from scripting? I graduated from csh
to zsh long ago, and last I looked, bash was way behind in interactive
features. But looking again at the man page - it seems to have lots of
'new' features, like command/filename/variable-completion (with menus),
emacs key bindings, ... even csh-style history substitution.
   I dont see an 'auto_pushd' for example, but I guess an alias would do
the job. (So it remembers past directories, and you can go back.)

   What do PLUG members use?
Anyone know both well enough to give a verdict?
  Is zsh obsolete? Or is this a vi/emacs kind of thing?

Other features I might miss are RPROMPT, chpwd(), PRINT_EXIT_VALUE,
REPORTTIME .

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--