[plug] voodoo 3 and PCI GeForce

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Feb 11 01:11:59 WST 2001

Clint Carlson wrote:

>  Greetings All
>
> I recently invested in a grforce2 mx video card, and due to the fact that I
> have a brand name computer (bad choice on my behalf), I had to buy a PCI
> version. The computer has an onboard voodoo 3, and wehn I tried to install
> Red HAt 7, firstoly anaconda would not run, so I had to use the text
> install. Secondly, when it cam time to configuire X, it detected a Geforce
> DDR, but during the testing phase resulted in an error. I trien usin
> Xconfigurator after installation, as well as the drivers from Nvidia's web
> site, but all that detected was my Voodoo 3. I also tried using xf86config,
> but also to no avail. Could anyone please help me with this .. as my brain
> has gone numb trying to figuire out how to get around it.

The simplest way is to install without the GEForce, keep a copy of the
Voodoo config aside, then plug in the GEForce and disable the Voodoo
(either by switch/jumper or BIOS setting) then boot and re-do the X config.

You should then be able to run with both cards enabled and two monitors,
by running one copy of X with each config file. Of course, the mobo
integrators may have done something bizarre with the builtin chipset to
save ten cents' worth of glue logic.

Linux-Mandrake's XFdrake updated to 4.0.2 is likely to have more success
than raw Xconfigurator.

--
My parents keep asking how school was.  It's like saying, 'How was
that drive-by shooting?'  You don't care how it _was_, you're lucky