[plug] Linux conf hang....

Kai vk6ksj at siwa.com.au
Mon Feb 12 21:54:11 WST 2001

Hi Berny,

Orright, I'll give that a go tomorrow, thanks !

I dunno if it did a full sweep of fsck on boot - only reason I know it went
down is because I got a call from one of the techs saying "Help ! One of the
other tech's moved your machine without shutting it off correctly and now it
hang's.!"
Of all people, you think a techie would have more brains than to unplug a
machine, especially their dial-in server, without shutting it down
correctly?

I'm going down there tomorrow to have a look at it - the info you've
provided should help, so, thank you !
What is the next thing to do if I can see any specific program is freezing
on the first console?

There's a 4 Port PCI card in the server that is configured to use specific
I/O and IRQ settings using setserial. Is it possible the power down may have
'cause some software IRQ conflict problems? if this is the case, it'd be a
simple thing of telnetting into the server from another machine (since
Telnet does work), editing /etc/rc.d/rc.local and or /etc/inittab and
temporarily commenting out the setserial commands, see if that cures it?

Kai