[plug] Linux conf hang....

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Feb 12 21:03:19 WST 2001

> This is probably a very broad question for such a problem, but is there any
> way of finding out exactly why it's hanging, and fix the problem?

Kai,

What I'd do (not necessarily the optimal way):

Boot single user mode.

Start services one by one (list from /etc/(rc.d/)rcX.d).

Trace log files, (/var/log/messages /var/log/boot.log
/var/log/netconf - or just try "grep linuxconf *" from /var/log).

If the machine's not entirely freezing and it's just one process thats
hanging, setup another console (by running "/sbin/getty 9600 tty2 &")
before starting linuxconf manually. Then when it appears to have hung
switch to that console and run ps ax to see if its any specific program
that's freezing on the first console. Can't think of anything else yet...

Also, did it fsck fully on boot?

Regards,

Bernard.

--