[plug] Wine, Starcraft, IPX, and user privs...

phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Feb 16 23:10:51 WST 2001

*sigh*
Ok, I've been trying to solve this for a while. I've read up on Wine, I've read
up on IPX, and I'm no stranger to StarCraft, but I can't get StarCraft working
on an IPX Network via Wine, as a user!

This last bit is my latest finding. Being used to the latest in wizz-bang X
technology, I haven't ran games as root in a while, but for old times sake, I
tried it and Voila! It worked!!

So, does anyone know why Wine/StarCraft/IPX DOES work as root, but DOESN'T work
as a user?

My system is a beasty Duron, running Debian 2.2 (Potato) with bits of Woody &
Sid, and kernel 2.4.0. (Machine at work running 2.4.1 behaves similarly).

Any ideas?