[plug] X problem?

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Feb 17 17:05:44 WST 2001

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Kevin Shackleton wrote:

> I occasionally get a Netscape (4.7) error "Warning: cannot allocate
> colormap entry for default background"

"colormap"!?  It sounds like you are running X in 8-bit (256 colour) mode.
Do any cards use a 16-bit colour-map? Usually you have fixed colours.

> Nothing too bad seems to happen, though the non-vmware part of the
> display is rather colour-crazy when vmware has focus.

Yup. Sounds like a colour map.

> Since I have a fairly new 32 MB 3D card it's probably the version of X

:) 8-bit colour with a 32MB card may be considered sub-optimal.
Try reconfiguring X.

> (in a std RH6.2) or a sub-optimal setting.  I was looking around to find
> what version of X is installed, without much success.

  ls -l /etc/X11/X

Whats it point to?
Try 'xdpyinfo' for gobs of info.

--