[plug] GEforce PCI

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Mon Feb 19 08:03:47 WST 2001

Clint wrote:
"I was just thinking, does the drak tools rely on X to run correctly? if so
this produces another dilema .. any sugestions anyone?"

Even Mandrake does not install the best driver for your Geforce. It'll run
2D stuff OK, but no 3D. If you are going to run the Geforce, you may as well
at least get the 3D stuff up and running as well. If you go to the
www.evil3d.net <http://www.evil3d.net>  site, they have an article that
explains the step by step guide to installing the latest drivers for the
Nvidia cards in Red Hat, Mandrake, and others. I would have thought that you
could then install Red Hat if that is your preference, let it install what
it wants to, but elect not to start X at start up. Then follow the
instructions from the web site, and install the latest drivers, change the X
config file, etc. Start X, and you should be up and running with the
Geforce, and with the 3D enabled as well...

You may want to get the files, and print out the instructions before you
install Red Hat, so you can get this stuff sorted out without a working X
config though, if you know what I mean...

Hope this helps.

Dennis.