[plug] VERY basic debian question

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Feb 19 17:24:58 WST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:

> Now I need some simple help.  What are the best sites to point apt at for
> fastest downloads/bandwdth costs.

Mine point to:

deb ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/debian potato main contrib non-free

but since you're not on WAIX you'd probably be better off going to

ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/

> Also Is there a "closer" mirror of security.debian.org, to save me going
> direct,

Not that I know of.

> where is the best place to get the non-US stuff from (I assume that is
> where openssh and the likes are).

yeah, try one of these:

deb ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/debian-non-US potato non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free

or

deb ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian-non-US potato non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free

Of course you could always have looked at spark's sources.list for some
suggestions :) (even though most of them are commented out atm)

 - Matt