[plug] install problems with StarOffice 5.2, what would this command do, moving around....

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 26 03:48:44 WST 2001

Hi Ari,

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:44:00AM +1600, Ari Finander wrote:
> Hello yet again :-)
>
> I installed Jdk1.3, the documents (not really an install, just
> unpacking), rebooted, and then tried to install Star Office for the
> second time (it failed the first time in exactly the same way it
> failed this time).  I was logged in as root

No! No no no no no no no no no.

You shouldn't install StarOffice 5.2 as root. Well, I'd recommend you not,
at least :). During the install of Linux you _did_ create an ordinary user
(eg. "ari"), didn't you? Log in as ari and run the StarOffice install
program.  It'll try to make a directory called 'office52' in your home
directory and install itself there.

Note that you'll need (from memory) around about 150-200 megabytes of free
space on whatever partition you try to install it. If that doesn't make
sense, try installing and if it comes up with a "you've run out of space"
error, you don't have enough space. :)

 From memory, I've found StarOffice to not work out very well if you try to
install it as root and make it accessible for all users. At least, this
certainly applied to earlier versions of it.

> and tried to install it to /usr/bin/office52 after changing the
> permissions of the binary file at the command prompt with chmod 777
> so-5_2-somthingorother.bin (also made the binary file executable and
> changed the group and owner to root, prior to this chmod command, from
> Gnome File Manager).

A quick explanation of the "chmod 777" that you casually refer to... :)

7 = 4 + 2 + 1

4 => read permission
2 => write permission
1 => execute permission

Hence, 7 => read, write, and execute permission.
       6 => read and write permission.
       5 => read and execute permission, etc...

chmod OGA (where O, G, A are numbers from 0 to 7)

O => owner
G => group
A => all (everyone on the system)

Hence, "chmod 777" means... "give read, write, execute permission to the
owner; read, write, execute permission to the group; oh, and read, write,
execute permission to everyone else as well. :)

> The install starts fine, I'm able to browse to the jdk1.3 fine and star
> office picks up on it, and then at about 26% through it starts throwing
> this error:
>
> An error occurred while unpacking the file libsmart_uno.so.
> There is probably not enough disk space.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WOOP WOOP WOOP

> Clicking the retry button brings this error up again and again.
> Clicking the ignore button brings this error up for additional files.
> Clicking cancel aborts the install, and I chose to remove the office52
> directory completely (as I did during the first failed install).  Any
> ideas why this is happening?  Perhaps the download is corrupt, and I
> should download it again?

Or perhaps the install error message might possibly be correct, and there
really isn't enough disk space! *grin*

You can check how much disk space you have on all your partitions by
running "df" at the prompt - for example:

root at chef [26/Feb 3:32:12] ttypts/0 !39 /usr/local/src # df
/dev/hda2              1018329    698024    267693  72% /
/dev/hda5              4973309   4274226    441643  91% /usr
/dev/hda6              2478138   2302360     47662  98% /home
/dev/hda1              4184732   3815348    369384  91% /mnt/win/c
/dev/hda7              1407264    899064    436716  67% /opt/games
/dev/hda8              1068128    999616     68512  94% /mnt/win/d
/dev/hdb1             15820524  12415576   2601300  83% /opt/misc
/dev/hdb2              3904176   2199956   1704220  56% /mnt/win/e
root at chef [26/Feb 3:32:17] ttypts/0 !40 /usr/local/src #

You can see the available space on my /usr partition is about 440 meg,
etc. Just make sure that whatever partition you try to install StarOffice
on has about a couple of hundred megs available.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:44:00AM +1600, Ari Finander wrote:
> What would 'chmod 777 *.bin' do if I typed it as root from a command
> prompt?
[ snip ]

See above.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:37:00AM +1600, Ari Finander wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last question for tonight :-)  Keep in mind I'm a complete newbie
> learning from a textbook right now.

...and having heaps of fun, of course. :)

> I've been able to edit my /etc/fstab file to allow all users to mount and
> unmount the hda1 (windows98SE) partition. It works fine when using Gnome
> File Manager in Red Hat 7.0, but when I try to navigate that partition
> with the command line I get an unresponsive '>' whenever I cd into that
> mounted partition (I have to close the terminal window, as nothing gets
> me out of it or gets me anything but the damned '>' symbol). How does one
> go about using the terminal window to move about a mounted windows
> partition?

Oooookkkaaaaay..... I'm puzzled as to what you mean here by "when I try to
navigate that partition with the command line". What _exactly_ do you do?
If possible, can you open a window, type whatever you type that causes the
problem (btw, type "df" before this just to list your mounted partitions),
then copy and paste the text from the window into an email (much as I did
above when showing how to use "df")?

Or if you can't do that, as a last resort write down everything you see in
the terminal window (both what you type and the response(s)) and manually
copy it back into an email to here..

>  TIA,
>  Ari

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water
pistol.