[plug] RAID on IDE

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Tue Feb 27 09:22:29 WST 2001

I recently asked about current RAID practise.  Given a couple of starts I found
that even Adaptec sell a 4 drive RAID-over-IDE card, but with drivers only for
Windows and Novell.  "Promise" have a range of such controllers with drivers only
for Windows, but their 6-drive ATA-100 card is only $1600 with a 3-bay hot-swap
chassis - fairly attractive pricing compared with the 'real' stuff.

Adaptec to have Linux drivers and a graphical management app for their higher-end
stuff, but don't make a statement about the IDE product.

Hopefully Linux drivers will soon emerge.

K.