[plug] false sense of security

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Feb 28 10:41:16 WST 2001

Campbell, David (Ex AS17) wrote:

> billk at iinet.net.au wrote:
>> Is better to be aware that you are being (even if unsuccessfully) probed
>> than be blissfully unaware and eventually getting caught out!

> The old adage of "No security is better than a false sense of security"
> still holds true.

Does it? If I was going to die regardless, I'd rather not be constantly
terrified and panicky right up until the moment the axe fell. I'd rather
be relaxed and happy in the sure knowledge that all was well... until
the axe fell. Unfortunately, that means about a week or two tops for
your average unguarded Windows machine.

In a way, that's a solution to the problem of convincing people to use
Linux: every time you hand them a bill for fixing their Windows machine,
say ``Y'know, it's be an awful lot cheaper for you if I didn't have to
do this so regularly. Have you ever considered using a Linux computer as
a firewall?''

--
"OOPS, this isn't sh. Desperation time. I will feed myself to sh."
     -- libg++-2.7.1 configuration script