[plug] false sense of security

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Feb 28 10:48:13 WST 2001

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:41:16AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Campbell, David (Ex AS17) wrote:
>
> > billk at iinet.net.au wrote:
> >> Is better to be aware that you are being (even if unsuccessfully) probed
> >> than be blissfully unaware and eventually getting caught out!
>
> > The old adage of "No security is better than a false sense of security"
> > still holds true.
>
> Does it? If I was going to die regardless, I'd rather not be constantly
> terrified and panicky right up until the moment the axe fell. I'd rather
> be relaxed and happy in the sure knowledge that all was well... until
> the axe fell. Unfortunately, that means about a week or two tops for
> your average unguarded Windows machine.

It all depends on the circumstances and how you define "security".  For
example, if people *believe* things are secure then they will rely on
them in ways that they shouldn't (classic example: the Zimmermann
telegram from WWI that was intercepted and broken by the British: the
Germans never would have said those things if they had any idea that
their codes could be broken and they might just have won the war
otherwise.)  Therefore it is often better for people to have no security
*and be aware of it* than have a false sense of security.