[plug] compiling perl 5.6.x

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 28 10:49:57 WST 2001

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 12:20:08AM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
[ snip ]
> After CPAN had download the archives et al, it wanted to compile Perl so
> it started on it's way. And then brought the machine to a grinding halt.
> It's a P75 running RH6.0 with 32M of RAM and 72M of swap space.

Hmm. I'm fairly sure I've been able to build Perl (older versions) without
any problems on lower-spec machines than that (eg. 486's with <16M RAM).
Well, just in the last couple of days I built Perl 5.6 on two P90 machines
with 32M RAM (and slightly more swap space) with no problems at all.
Admittedly they weren't Linux (Net and Open BSD), but on something like
that performance shouldn't be too different from Linux.

> I notice that when it gets part way through compiling, not only do the
[ snip ]
> Does this mean if I want to compile perl I'll need more memory/swap
> space?  Or is there something else at fault here?
>
> Any ideas?

This may be a stupid question, but are you running X while trying to
compile Perl? If not, are you running anything else with a significant
memory hit? X will certainly cause some problems (although they should be
manageable). If you are, get out of X and try again.

> Bernard.

Basically, I don't know :). You _should_ be able to build Perl on a machine
of those specs.

If you can work out what the problem is, let us know.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
BEDEVERE: Stand by for attack!!
   [CUT TO enormous army forming up.  Trebuchets, rows of PIKEMEN, siege