[plug] compiling perl 5.6.x

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Feb 28 00:20:08 WST 2001

List,

In the installation of something Perl related (I've lost track of what), I
was some how brought about to install Perl 5.6.x, to replace the 5.005
that I have. After CPAN had download the archives et al, it wanted to
compile Perl so it started on it's way. And then brought the machine to a
grinding halt. It's a P75 running RH6.0 with 32M of RAM and 72M of swap
space.

I notice that when it gets part way through compiling, not only do the
load averages shoot through the roof (peaked at 51.2) but free swap and
ram was nearing zilch. I'm guessing it was the lacking memory that
consequently induced the high load through some way. After waiting 25
minutes to recover from the first armageddon, I tried a second time and
the same resulted but I typed "killall perl" as soon as I realized it was
happening again and lucky it only took 15 minutes to become responsive
once more.

Does this mean if I want to compile perl I'll need more memory/swap space?
Or is there something else at fault here?

Any ideas?

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham