[plug] Advice on Shells

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Feb 28 12:27:11 WST 2001

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
> > SO, the question is, is there a shell that provides..
> > --Commandline completion
> > --Command history
> > --bash compatible scripting
>
> So are there any features its OK to leave out? :)
> I think you are wanting to eat your cake and so forth.

So.. I like command line completion, and command history, and it needs to run
bash scripts, so It can run the debian init scripts, as I'm too lazy to rewrite
them.

Actually, thats not true, I'm thinking about writing one big initscript that
just loads modules manually, does the filesystem checking and mounts required
filesystems, and all the other guff. Probably a lot simpler in the long run..
But not as much fun to play with..

> Have you checked out the myriad of existing 1-2 floppy distros?
> I wouldnt be hopeful though.

Yeah, looked at a lot of them

> > with vfat, and basic rescue tools, with basic networking onto a 1.44
>
> You know you can get more on a floppy?   See /dev/fd0u1722 ,
> ie 1.72 MB.  I think that format is reasonably reliable.

Yes, But.. you cant get more than 1.44mb onto a 1.44mb flash disk..
Flash is where this is destined to end up, and I'll probably only have
a 4mb uncompressed ext2 filesystem to play with. I need to get my application
software onto this as well :p)

> > Yeah yeah, I know.. LRP, but it's more educational doing it yourself, and
> > besides.. I'm having fun..
>
> Masochist :)

It's strange, but I really enjoy beating my head against a wall :p)
This is a GREAT way to learn about the low level linux stuff, and about
how your distro (debian) works in-depth.
Bound to be useful sooner or later

I'm downloading ash now to give it a spin..

--
Brad....
                   /"\