[plug] Alpha details (was: Spark dead)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Feb 28 13:04:45 WST 2001

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Since video is not needed for this task, I have a Digital 3000/400 (I
> think 166 MHz Alpha) which would do the job, I think. It actually has a
> fantastic video card but it is turbochannel, and Linux AFAIK has no
> turbochannel drivers yet if ever. It also has 128MB of RAM and some
> gigabytes of disk.

I lied, a bit. It appears to have 64M of SEC/DED RAM as weird 1M SIMMs.
The disks are 2xDigital RZ26 SCSI2/9ms at 1G each (256K cache) and it
has a SCSI CD drive. It also has a *serious* cooling system, everything
(SIMMs and all) aligned across the box where no less than *five* large
fans can get at it easily.

It looks like a desktop case but weighs circa 4x as much. Good old DEC
you-ran-it-over-with-a-truck-so-what engineering. Not quite as good as
their MilSpec PDP-8s but a different world from standard PCs.

--
You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!
     -- The President, "Dr. Strangelove"