[plug] pine over rsh

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Feb 28 20:31:23 WST 2001

List,

Another probably easy question... For problems with mail being mounted via
NFS from /var/spool/mail I've moved to simply running Pine on the server
which hosts the mail. I've got a favourite button on my toolbar for
getting mail and I've told it to start an xterm (Eterm) with "ssh
mailserver -t pine" which works fine and dandy given the -t assigns a
pseudo-tty and keeps pine happy. Except it's slightly slow on the
authentication side using RSAAuthentication.

I've been exploring rexec, rsh and rlogin seeing I don't really need
encryption on my home lan, and I can't find a way to do the equivalent of
"-t" for ssh, to assign a pseudo-tty rather than piping stdin/out so I can
have one command (eg "rsh mailserver pine") that lets me use pine without
it whinging. I can run rlogin and then run pine from there, but its just
not as handy.

Cut the above ramble, in essence is there a way to get rsh/rlogin/rexec to
use a pseudo-tty... OR is there a way to speed up ssh and perhaps skip
encryption all together? (-c none isn't liked... can it be implemented?
currently using blowfish cipher) OR can Pine be told to shut up and use
stdin/out and not require the full blown ptty?

Thanks in advance,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham