[plug] EXT3 troubles

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 13:07:25 WST 2001

Hi guys, (happy new year and all that :)

I'm trying to get ext3 working (ver 0.0.5d), but the
system seems to be having trouble using the journal
file. I've tried emailing the author, but as of (a
week later) have got no reply. Since at least one of
you said you had used it before, I thought I'd ask :)

As per the README, at this stage I have:

* patched the kernel (only the ext3 patch, not the
kdb) and recompiled etc
* created an 8MB journal file (for a 1.3GB root fs,
P150 laptop)
* obtained the journal inode number
* run "lilo -R ext3 rw rootflags=journal=16172" (in my
case)
* and rebooted.

The kernel reports the fs mounted as ext3 with no
errors, and there are no other errors anywhere up to
this point (apart from the rejects from the patch file
[no kdb] ). However, when e2fsck goes to check it, I
get the following:

e2fsck: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s)
  /dev/hda1: journal has incompatible features
e2fsck: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while
  checking ext3 journal for /dev/hda1

I have replaced e2fsprogs with the i386 RPMS (RH6.2)
from the ext3 package, but they still seem to have
problems. There appears to be some data in the journal
file (it is no longer just zeroes), but the timestamp
has not changed.

What am I missing?

TIA

Andrew

PS. I applied the patches to kernel 2.2.18, not
2.2.18pre25, is that likely to have any effect?

=====
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?