[plug] EXT3 troubles

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 1 17:22:08 WST 2001

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 09:07:25PM -0800, Andrew Furey wrote:
[...]
> The kernel reports the fs mounted as ext3 with no
> errors, and there are no other errors anywhere up to
> this point (apart from the rejects from the patch file
> [no kdb] ). However, when e2fsck goes to check it, I
> get the following:

Well, it sounds like it's up and running happily.

As for the fsck program - I guess it needs more work. Make sure you're
using the right copy of fsck - fsck.ext3 as unpacked from the RPM, and
mark the FS type as ext3 in /etc/fstab. Maybe try a single user boot
and run fsck.ext3 /dev/hda1 manually.

On the bright side, the point of journalling is that you'll rarely need
to fsck at all, from now on - I haven't actually tried or installed the
new e2fsprogs yet. (ie the tools are mostly there to fix random cosmic
ray corruption/any results of FS bugs rather than fix filesystems
damaged by unexpected power losses)

[...]
> PS. I applied the patches to kernel 2.2.18, not
> 2.2.18pre25, is that likely to have any effect?

ext3 0.0.5d is diffed against 2.2.18. Sounds like you might have 0.0.5c
after all (the RPMs come in that tar file, but not in 0.0.5d's). There
were some changes, you may as well build a 0.0.5d version.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal