[plug] More obscure problems: Netscape roaming, Coda

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Jan 2 18:40:47 WST 2001

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 11:05:47AM +0800, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> While I'm at it, here are some more obscure problems that someone might
> be able to throw some light on:
>
> 1. I've set up Netscape roaming profiles with an LDAP server.  It seems
>    to work, but none of the things in the profile that I am trying to
>    synchronise are actually being synchronised.  Dumping the data to
>    an LDIF file I find that only my user information is in there, and
>    nothing else (eg. bookmarks, contacts...).  Netscape doesn't report
>    any errors.

This probably is no use whatsoever but in the remote hope that it is
helpful...  I've used Netscape roaming profiles with an Apache HTTP
server without any problems whatsoever.  The disadvantage of HTTP as
opposed to LDAP is that if you lose/corrupt one set of settings then the
others will go too.  Personally I've never had that happen so I'm not
sure if it really is a huge problem.  As insurance against this I set up
a cron job to back up the most recently saved settings at midnight in
the event there was a problem.  Perhaps using a HTTP server might
be worth a try?