[plug] Monitoring IP

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Thu Jan 4 09:36:29 WST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Earnshaw, Mike" <earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com>
To: "PLUG (E-mail)" <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Thursday, 4 January 2001 9:19
Subject: [plug] Monitoring IP

> Pluggers,
>
> I am looking for a program that will allow me to monitor the IP traffic
> on a router in our network. The router is not connected directly to any
> machine but a port on the network itself. I don't want to have to pay
> heaps for the software upgrade on the router to do this (according to
> the salesman :). Something like tcpdump or MRTG I suppose. As far as I
> see the crux is that the router is not piped through another machine.

I am currently doing the same thing.  There is an setting on the switch
(3com SuperStack II) to allow all traffic on a particular port (eg. the
router port) to be duplicated onto another port (monitoring port).  Stick
your monitoring PC on that port and you can run iptraf, traffic-vis, ntop,
ethereal, . . . .

Regards,
Steve