[plug] Monitoring IP

Evan Lau evanlau at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 4 09:36:57 WST 2001

Hi Mike,

I'm not expert in networking stuff but I'd suggest to start off with you
would use (as you suggested) tcpdump. Just read the man pages on that but
for basic use (and to see how things work) you could try "tcpdump -i eth0"
and replace eth0 with the interface that you want to moonitor, say "ppp0",
etc etc.

MRTG information can be found at:

	Basic intro: http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html
	More info:   http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg

MRTG I would suggest is for larger networks and it would be able to
generate HTML pages containing graphs which lets you see what's going on
and uses it's own SNMP stuff so you don't have to have to have your own
happening. But I'm not sure if it does IP stuff but I wouldn't be
surprised. Have a look at the documentation.

Take it easy,
Evan