[plug] Speaking of kernel panics...

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Fri Jan 5 13:16:22 WST 2001

Mike,

Thanks for the comments.

I don't think it had wiped the partition table. If it did, not completely,
as windows was still working and booting off LILO after my Linux went
haywire. Or have I miss understood your point?  The other thing is that I
haven't booted Windows for about 2 weeks, yet I've booted Linux everyday now
. Could Windows have scrambled by table if it hasn't even run?

When you say, keep a record of my partition locations, what do you mean? The
block/cluster numbers? If so, is there an easy tool to give me these after
the event, now that I have recreated the partitions and reinstalled Linux?

When you say rebuild my partition table, what tool is used for that? I
assume there is a way of rebuilding the table if you know the locations, and
hey presto your system is back. Or maybe I can back the table up and restore
it somehow?

Sorry about the bleeding obvious questions, but I'm not familiar with the
concepts. I have played with partitions before, but only in an exclusively
windows environment. I've never had to rebuild a partition table when my
system was exclusively running windows.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis.

Mike wrote "

Dennis,
so your partiton table was wiped? Windows has been known to do that.

It will stop it booting, but doesnt mean your data is gone.
You should have tried rebuilding the partition table.
IF you keep a record of the partition locations.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--